Third time is the charm...

Not really, but I thought it would be a clever title for this post.

I have been a Christian for more than 15 years and I must honestly say that accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior was, is and always will be the best decision I have ever made in my life.
It hasn't always been easy. I have traveled a rocky  and pretty eventful road, especially in my early twenties, but God has always showed himself and in His mercy and love I have found grace and a way to work out every situation.

It will take a long time to share my testimony with you all, but in light of the events that took place at Elevation Church this weekend; I will share part of it.

I was born in a Catholic family and in perfect Catholic tradition I was baptized when I was about 9 months old, I didn't get a vote or even a say in that decision. I've seen pictures and even though I don't remember the event in question I can tell by the pictures I was pretty upset. It could have been the fact that a stranger was pouring water on my face for no apparent reason or maybe because no one asked me if I wanted to do it. In any case, it happened.

At 15, I decided to cut all my ties with the Catholic Church, which was hard considering I was a Senior at a very strict Catholic High School (Yes, a senior at 15). That school was run by nuns that in my opinion were trained by the most cruel army in the world. It was a tough school, and when I decided not to participate in all the religious activities of the school, stating that I could no longer defined myself as Catholic. Well, let's just say it created a big problem for me. But I stood by what I thought to be the truth at the time, and they decided to simply let me graduate and move on with my life.

A year later when I was  a freshman in College, I had an encounter with my Creator, my Father in heaven, it happened on a Sunday morning at my mother's Church, I can't explain it and won't even try to describe it, but I got saved. 
I wish I could say that it was all rainbows and sunshine after that, but it wasn't like that at all. My life turned into quite a mess, I wasn't able to handle the freedom that came with the college life. After all, I was only 16. I was completely lost in a world where I could do pretty much whatever I wanted and get away with it. Although I survived and was able to graduate, I was never the same. I grew up too fast and did things I am definitely not proud of. I left school tired, carrying a heavy load of emotional baggage and with a lot more questions than answers. There was a big hole in my heart and I had no idea how to fill it or even hide it.

I called myself a Christian but didn't really know what that meant, after graduation I decided to move to the States, looking for a fresh start and a place where I could find some peace of mind. That's how I ended up in Charlotte NC. This awesome city welcomed me with open arms almost 14 years ago. When I first got here, I got a job as a waitress at a restaurant in the South Park area, I met a ton of great people there. Little did I know, that was the beginning  of my new life. Two of my co-workers were hardcore Christians, working part time and going to Ministry school full time. They talked a lot aboud God, and I mean a lot! They invited me to Church one day and even promised to pick me up on Sunday morning.

I went out partying the night before and got home at around 7 am. They knocked at my door at 9 o'clock sharp, and to this day I still don't know how I managed to get up and go to Church. It was my day for sure. I got there and tears were just flowing down my face. The Lord was calling me, it was time to come home, to star over, to give my life to him once and for all. These friends not only invited me to Church, they walked with me, listened to me, pray with me and for me, and I will forever be grateful to them for all their love and support. I started attending Church and at the same time I began dealing my all my personal demons. Not too long after that; my friends talked me into getting baptized, I felt I was ready for that step, ready to go public with my faith, so I went for it. It was a different kind of experience but a good one for sure.

After years of struggling, years of tears and pain, my life was beginning to make sense. I was living with a purpose and I had found my destiny.

With my new found hope and the strength my Creator provided, I began my journey as a woman of God. I fell in love with the most wonderful man on earth and together we have two incredible children. It was because of them, that last weekend I made the decision to get baptized again. I am not in my twenties anymore. I am now and adult, a wife, a mother. Everything I do in my life, every decision I make has an impact in the life of my children one way or another. I have a responsability to teach them about God, to lead them by example and to live a life of faith, love and obedience.

Last Saturday evening, during our Raised to Life event, when the Pastor extended the invitation to come forward and get baptized. I proudly stood up and publicly declared my faith. I decided to follow Jesus and wanted the world to know it. Right there and then, I got baptized for the third time.

I wanted my children to see me take that step, and although they might not understand completely what took place that day, they were there. And when their day comes, whenever their time comes, I'll be able to explain what the Lord has done for me, how He saved me,  how He made me whole again. I will tell them that the tears they saw, were tears of joy and not sadness, and how no matter what the world throws at me, I know who I am in Christ, I know who my Father is.
In HIM I found peace. In HIM I found myself.

Comments

Popular Posts